ECO-nomY is a different economy which is only related to sustainability.
ECO-nomY is pronounced separating the two terms as “ECO” ( which stands for Ecological) and then “nomY” to differentiate it from the classical economy.
ECO-nomY is written with a dash separating the two terms and the letter “Y” in “nomY” is capital, which in graphics is covered by leaves, symbolizing a tree.
- ECO-nomY: Complete economic system exclusively related to sustainability: products, services , actions
- ECO-point : An ecological, universal, virtual currency created to reward only Sustainable Actions.
- ECO-friend: Anyone who wants to help the planet through sustainable actions and be rewarded with ECO-points.
- ECO-sponsor: Private or Government institution interested in encouraging ECO-nomY and the sustainable actions among the population.
- ECO-affiliate: Any business institution willing to accept and redeem payments in ECO-Points within the platform of ECO-nomY.
- ECO-bike: Just one example of a Human Powered Device
- ECO-meter: Meter equipped with sensing capabilities to measure energy,health and environmental parameters.
- ECO-card: Card that enable the owner as part of ECO-nomY and all its benefits.
- ECO-energy: Energy obtained form renewable sources ( solar, wind , tide, etc) and human energy
- Human Energy: Energy replaced or obtained by human muscular power.
- Human Powered Device: Device which uses muscular power from human to perform a work or replace a device which requires electrical energy.
- Sustainable action: Action that benefits the sustainability of the planet.
- Sustainability: Act of using the current resources in development without affecting their availability for future generations.
- Platform: Web platform which keeps track of all the sustainable actions in the planet
- App: Software for cellular phones that help ECO-friends in keeping track of all their data: ECO-points, Health , Energy and Environment
There are very simple rules, which are summarized as follows:
- ECO-nomY is for everyone who wants to be responsible with the planet, with sustainable actions, policies and clean production.
- ECO-nomY has its own currency named ECO-points used to reward only Sustainable Actions.
- Only registered individuals can make transactions within ECO-nomY.
- All the transactions have to be made within the platform at minimum or no cost of all. Even between countries.
- Under ECO-nomY you can act as individual or as a group.
- The emission of ECO-points is always backed in money, legally obtained and safe in banks.
- The ECO-points are only produced or obtained from sustainability actions measured within the platform.
- Transactions outside the platform are not allowed so ECO-points are always tracked.
The money, converted into ECO-points, has always a legal origin. Funds come from;
- Donations from government organizations concerned about environment, health, energy, transport and economy.
- Donations from industries and people interested in sustainability.
- Donations and contributions from manufacturers of eco-sustainable products.
- Payments from energy saved through Eco-bikes and any other third party human powered device manufacturer.
- Publicity and campaigns on public human powered devices.
- Own social network.
- Memberships from renewable energy producers.
- Buyers of Big data and statistics on health, environment, sustainable energy, etc.
- Life insurance companies.
The long term sustainability of system is assured since it only has three main money outputs or expenses.
- Operational costs.
The benefits are measured in several fields:
Less greenhouse emissions, more healthy people, rewards and prizes to help people´s economy, incentives to be sustainable by actions or by support, incentives to use public transportation, etc
Fundamentals of ECO-nomY
10 examples of this new approach.
1 The child and the present
A child wants to give a present to his mother on her birthday. He goes to school where he finds an ECO-bike and based on the number of ECO-points needed for the selected present, he pedals some minutes per day during a month. After several sessions, the platform checks that he has been working out regularly without missing any day so, the platform rewards him with a certain number of ECO-Points so he gets enough ECO-points to redeem, much earlier than he expected.
- The child gets his present earlier because the platform detects his efforts.
- There is no money involved for the kid.
- The health of the kid improves.
A gym has adapted several static bikes to work as ECO-bikes, by joining the program of ECO-nomY with much lower costs than installing solar panels. Every time someone uses the ECO-bikes, the energy generated by people charges a set of batteries which in turn are used to power several section of the gym equipment.
In addition to the energy saving, the gym and his customers get report of the health parameters developed with the workout time. Relevant information about the contribution to the environment is also obtained.
- The Gym saves energy, has sophisticated equipment and very useful occupancy and maintenance data.
- People get reports and win Rewards in ECO-points
- The Gym can sponsor a discount on membership if people work on the ECO-bike a given number of hours per week.
There is an environmental emergency in one country and people from the rest of the world want to be more helpful rather than clicking likes in social networks. They only have to go massively to any location with ECO-bikes, pedal for some time and then through their cell phones make the donation of the ECO-points to the specific country. The platform makes the transfer in no time to the closest help point. They can also make money donations and the platform will convert them into ECO-points to speed the transfer process up.
- Help becomes more effective since there are no transfer delays
- Real actions are much better than virtual clicks of support
- The good will action reverts in improvements of health and less greenhouse emission.
4 Health insurance
A company of health insurance decides to join the ECO-nomY program by giving some discounts if the customer obtains certain number of ECO-points during a monthly period. They are convinced that the better the cardio activity of the person the less health services will require the customer.
- The person saves money because his monthly payment decreases.
- The person gets healthier because he works out as a habit.
- The person gets ECO-points and has more chances of winning prizes.
- The health insurance company has less demand of services from this customer.
- The planet has less GHG emissions because this customer becomes regular.
5 Waste reduction
A chain store has decided to encourage its customers to bring their own grocery bags to avoid excess of plastic bags in the environment. If the customer becomes part of the program they will receive ECO-points and will have the chance to win Appliances,
- Customers become part of the solution by being more friendly with the environment
- Chain store adopts a responsible policy in favor of plastic waste reduction
- Chain store gets even with the saving in less plastic bags.
6 Jail´s workout program
This program already exists by we are going to introduce some variations. A jail has joined the ECO-nomy program by installing several ECO-bikes and allowing its prisoners to be more productive. All the ECO-points they obtain working out or the prizes they have to win will be transferred to their relatives for them to redeem in whatever they want.
- Prisoners get healthier while contributing for a better environment.
- Prisoners contribute to the economy of their families.
- Prison saves on energy, physical and psychological health costs.
7 Army´s hot shower
The army has joined our program and now, they have adapted human powered devices to heat clean water for people´s showers and save in energy and gas heating costs. Every group works out for a moment and prepares the water for next group. All the ECO-points are saved as group to be redeemed when they have free time
- They turn work out into usable energy.
- Heating is a very expensive action and now comes from human energy.
- Eco-points in a collaborative environment.
8 High school and water pre-treatment.
The Director has decided to encourage students to help on sustainability of the premise. He contracted with professionals all the needed plumbing and piping to separate waters from urinals and toilettes (number 1 and number 2!). Now the urine goes to a special reservoir where some third party bikes (with our smart monitoring and control system) which allow, by pedaling, the filtering and basic treatment of the water and use it on the toilette flushing. The students using these ECO-pre-treatments will get ECO-points and win prizes form the High School.
- Hundreds of cubic meters of water are saved.
- The water is reused many times.
- The school gets reports on how much water was saved daily!
- The students win ECO-points, get healthier, help the environment and keep track of their efforts.
9 Public transportation
A crowded city is experiencing heavy traffic problems. The Ministry of Transport in order to incentive the use of public transport instead of particular cars has launched a program for people to use the metro system.
The metro software platform, thorough the reader of cards, will inform ECO-nomY about people with cars using the metro via Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE), for them to be rewarded with ECO-Points and the chance to win prizes.
- People get incentives to take the metro and leave the car
- There is an interaction with a software platform
- The city gets reports of people with car using public transportation
- The city can contrast information with metro occupancy and cars on streets.
10 Earth´s day
This worldwide celebration is a series of activities around to demonstrate support for environmental protection, but other than that and a lot of media attention and publicity budgets, there is no much about effective actions.
The celebration has a new proposal: People will have to look for the closest human powered device to work for at least 10 minutes in order to win prizes and donate their ECO-points. A curiosity, what did you do last Earth´s day?
- This is a perfect index to measure people involved on earth´s day.
- The contribution is measured on ECO-Points.
- Budgets around earth´s day have a better effect on people.
- Instant world online cross data can be obtained from ECO-nomY.